Thursday 7 February 2013

I do not like Drop pods.

In a bit of a change from my usual reporting of my progress in building and painting.... I thought I would share my experiences in a game I had this afternoon......

This was the first outing for my Karandras themed Army, this army has happened gradually over several years based purely around Karandras as the central figure, mainly because I bought the miniature when it was first released for no reason other than I liked it.....

I was pitted against my friends Imperial fists on one of the tables at my FLGS
here are a few pics from early in the battle (becuase I got carried away and forgot to take any pics after about turn 2)
Incidently the sludge canal running down the centre of the board is one of my past projects.... built for the necromunda "Toll bridge" scenario.. the centre bridge is sized to be level with a level 1 building place on either bank and can be rotated as per the special conditions in that scenario.....

this is a general shot of the table at deployment, thats right.... he deployed a single dreadnought! thats all.

 on my side of the table I deployed my Warwalker, my Storm Guardians, my Avatar, and my Howling Banshees squad to face his dreadnought on my left.




and on my right dug my Guardians squad with a brightlance heavy weaopn platrom into this ruined bunker....

and on the first turn he dropped this almost on top of me.... and proceeded to rapid fire into my unit.... we treated the terrain piece as a ruined bunker... 4+ cover save.... 4 of my guardians died....

at the beginning of my second turn my first unit of Striking scorpions arrived... after I had managed to kill a single marine with shooting from my guardians.... and then weathered the return fire during his second turn....


in his 3rd turn the rest of his pods arrived.... dumping a unit of sternguard and another full tactical squad in my face, he then added insult to injury by unloading rapid fire hellfire bolter rounds into my Howling banshees which had been running to reach the combat from my left flank.... and wiping them out.... in my third turn my Striking scorpians managed to charge one of his units of tactical marines... despite his stand and shoot reaction and the ensuing combat whiping out 3 of my scorps' we were then locked in combat....

in the mean time... my Avatar had spent pretty much the whole game chasing his dreadnought across the board trying to catch it.... I failed miserably to damage it with my ranged attack... then charged it.... at which point I discovered that only his ranged attack is considered "melta" and thus I was looking for sixes in order to glance.... which I didn't manage to pull off for the rest of the game.... Avatar was eventually killed in turn 6...

Karandras did make his appearance in turn 4 and showed his stuff during turns 5 and 6 as he and the accompanying squad of striking scorpians ripped through a tactiacl squad and then the sternguard..... before getting charged by the marine captain and killing each other off fist to claw in one combat........

and so my first foray with eldar ended in a nasty defeat with me having only a unit of storm guardians and a warwalker left..... (the warwalker spent the entire game failing to damage the drop pods....)

so there you have it.... my 4tk batrep....

any thoughts are as always much appreciated....

TWTs

1 comment:

  1. Hmm tough call, If you facing drop pods again I'd bunch all your stuff together in one corner and that way you can concentrate on one target at a time as it arrives.

    ReplyDelete