Friday 25 January 2013

More Progress, well sort of......ish.....

Yeah.... so I finally finished building the "dry-stone" style wall sections I have been playing around with for some time.... and promptly made up a silicone mold of them so that I can cast as many as I require.

After some trimming and playing around to make the molds more usable (all three masters broke in the process of removing them from the set rubber) these are my first test casts:


as you can see...... less than a stellar success..... lots of air bubbles and even some pieces that didn't fill at all..... although the surface detail in the bits that did fill is quite good.....

second set of tests are already in, used an even more watery plaster mix, Fingers crossed!

When I used to drive a roadsweeper on construction projects i often saw something like a giant vibrator used to help concrete settle into a trench abd help the air bubble to propagate out.... so I cobbled this little tool together.....
by inserting the end of the bent paperclip into the plaster within the mold it seems to aid settling and air removal considerably.....

any comments or tips are always appreciated.....

thanks for reading, TWTs


1 comment:

  1. They don't look to bad, with a littl bit of extra work they'd still be usable. Fingers crossed for the next batch :D

    ReplyDelete